Here's What I Have to Say

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Who Invented Cubicles?

Procrastinating at job that is my first where I have had to work in isolation...oh I mean a cubicle...I have stumbled across an online article about the punk who invented these makeshift offices. Thank you Bob Propst for making the office experience one that all cubicle workers look forward to each day. Okay well maybe I'm being a little harsh....because he did have good intentions for improving the work environment when he came up with this brilliant plan. I figure Propst is like a modern day Dr. Frankenstein, a good-hearted man with one less marble and probably had no foresight to realize that his creation would unleash a fury over the unsuspecting townspeople. I suppose there is hope though...there have been efforts to change the workplace but like the author of the article I don't think they will be able to change the "telecommuting" that is becoming more and more prevalent.

I love the idea of working outside of work which is why I love the flexibility of working in academia. With the exception of holding office hours, I can basically do my work where I want and feel better doing it at the same time. Why not have people work where they feel comfortable? Are supervisors worried that nothing will get done unless their employees work under their watchful eyes periodically? Personally, I get less work done when I feel like someone is breathing down my neck all the time. Or, I actually find ways to make duties take longer so that I always look like I'm working. The point is....I'm all for "telecommuting" and working to live, not just living to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home