Here's What I Have to Say

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Syncopation and a weekend with the Fam....

So this weekend I indulged in the performing arts by attending the play "Syncopation" at Meadowbrook. My uncle plays Henry, a polish meatpacker in 1911 who is set on becoming a famous ballroom dancer. He puts an ad in the newspaper requesting a dance partner and that is where this romantic comedy begins. I've seen several of my uncle's plays over the years, but none that I really took the time to analyze from a theatre-goer perspective. After almost three hours, the curtain dropped and we all headed out to meet him at Applebee's across the street from the show. Excited that we had all come to see him perform, my uncle asked what we thought of the play. Each one of us had a different perspective and wanted to know what the playwright had intended for the audience to perceive. The thing is, playwrights, like writers don't always set out to make their audiences "see" specific points. That's the beauty of the arts I think; always open for interpretation. Afterall, isn't that why we go attend performances? Read books, etc.? What fun would it be to always be told what to think? Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home